The blog of roncli blog
Houston, Texas, United States
CTG Music
Trax in Space Beta
Recent Posts
WTF did Revival Productions just do?
A Tale of Two Communities
The Final Stretch
A Two Tiered, Untiered OTL
Secretly, you wish you could've done what I did
What have I done since v2?
It's Done. It's Finally Done.
The Big Picture is Starting to Wear on Me
A Low Bang to Buck Ratio
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
June 2008
July 2008
September 2008
December 2008
February 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
March 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
April 2012
July 2012
November 2012
July 2013
April 2014
July 2014
August 2014
November 2014
December 2014
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
September 2015
January 2016
February 2016
May 2016
July 2016
November 2016
March 2017
January 2018
May 2018
June 2018
January 2019
January 2021
February 2021
March 2021
August 2021
October 2021
December 2021
August 2022
November 2022
October 2023
February 2024
April 2024
Current Posts
Saturday, October 24, 2009
XAML again?
Posted: 4:46:00 PM 0 comments
Back in January of last year, I started work on the Six Minutes To Release website using Silverlight. It... didn't go so well. People couldn't use it on Macs, and there were other fugly things about it I didn't like. I ended up abandoning the project and coding it in straight ASP.Net.

Turns out that the XAML experience I got from working on it the first time through the SMTR website came in handy. The Rawr project is using Silverlight for its next major release, Rawr 3. Having taken on the protection paladin module, I was able to write a needed piece for that module to work in Rawr 3 in about 3 days on and off. Of course, the stumbling of not having touched it in nearly 2 years took me some time to get past, but once I did it was smooth sailing.

There's a few things I don't like about it, though. Rawr is going to release a Silverlight web release and a WPF application release. The problem with the two releases is that the XAML used in each is not necessarily compatible with each other in all cases. This results in being unable to use certain features, such as StringFormatting. We also have to use a cheap preprocessing approach to be able to compile the same XAML file in both places.

Is it me, or could Microsoft have done a better job of streamlining the two versions? Why even have two versions of XAML? It seems like a lot of extra work for similar functionality that could be done all in one place.

In any case, I've put a lot on my plate, and I've devoted this weekend to getting it out. Up next, SMTR's new raid performance reporting, which is almost done. Should be fun.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Sunday, October 11, 2009
LibWowHeroes 3.2.2
Posted: 4:25:00 AM 0 comments
It appears I'm amassing a nice amount of .Net libraries for World of Warcraft. My latest offering is for WoW Heroes, and is a .Net library for accessing their XML files. It's called, predictably, LibWowHeroes. Yeah, sorry for not being original, but at least you know what to expect!

Unlike my other libraries, this is a full release. With it you can query WoW Heroes for a guild and return lots of WoW Heroes-specific data from it. Unfortunately, I don't have manual character updates working yet, but that will be something I will work on soon. And WoW Heroes data will be coming to Six Minutes To Release very soon.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, October 02, 2009
An Experiment
Posted: 5:53:00 PM 0 comments
Six Minutes To Release seems to be my favorite testing grounds for experimental code lately. Fortunately, the RSS experiment was a success.

This one involves moving the ViewState off of the HTML page and on to the database. Some of the ViewStates were getting huge, even when I'd try to manage the size of the ViewState. So I decided to take that out of the HTML to slim some pages down. So far it seems to be working, but it hasn't been up for too long.

This caused me to rethink my ASP.Net model, and I ended up putting data that I usually store in a separate class, such as login information, into the class that inherits System.Web.UI.Page. Makes it much cleaner in my opinion, as I don't have to store references to Response, Request, and Server.

So we'll see how this goes. This is all based on an idea I got for Gate, and if it goes well I'll end up using it in Gate as well. Should be fun.

Labels: , , ,